Head to Bastille Day Festival 2021 to celebrate France and the French national day at Federation Square in Melbourne this weekend.
What you’ll find at Bastille Festival 2021?
- French stalls selling mulled wine, crêpe, croissants, pastries, cheese and champagne just to name a few
- ‘The Knot’ by French artist Cyril Lancelin at Fed Square
- Live roaming entertainment including live music and performances
- French Can Can performance on the Fed Square screen on Friday 16 July at 8pm
- A series of online and screened digital content and films including the made-in Melbourne short documentary, Home Shift Home.
- A series of Les Lumières Talks: Bleu, Blanc, Rouge and Vert discussing history, art, culture and sustainability
- The finest produce at Délicieux! A French Market Lunch or French Spirits & Cheese Masterclass.
- A live French Trivia session.
- Bouygues Art Frolic Walking Tour to discover the hidden elements of France in the streets of Melbourne; and
- eMotion, an international travelling art exhibition, at Melbourne Town Hall, celebrating new technologies, the work of four young international photographers, and cultural sites throughout France.
BASTILLE DAY FESTIVAL 2021 MASTERCLASSES & EVENTS
FRIDAY 16 JULY
Les Lumières Blanc – A Revolution in Painting – The French Impressionists
Dr Ted Gott will discuss the role of the key painters who initiated an artistic revolution in the history of painting with impressionism.
$10 + GST + booking fee
Les Lumières Vert: Can we achieve net zero carbon emission without decline?
A panel talk which will debate whether the historical relationship between GDP and environmental impact can be weakened and effectively severed.
$15 + GST + booking fee
SATURDAY 17 JULY
Bouygues Art Frolic Walking Tours
Head off for walking tour with a French speaking guide around French cultural works and locations in Melbourne ending with mulled wine!
$20 + GST and booking fee
Délicieux! A French Market Lunch
A bespoke tour of the French market goods while sipping on a glass of pinot cuvée by Champagne Philippe Fourrier followed by a long banquet table lunch.
$120 + GST and booking fee
Les Lumières Rouge: The French Revolution and its relevance to today
A world authority on the French Revolution and nineteenth-century France, Prof Peter McPhee will explore how the Revolution is still relevant today. What really happened and how has the revolution affected modern society?
Les Lumières Bleu: Demystifying the French cliché
Three French expats, Véronique Duché (Professor of French, University of Melbourne), Anne-Sophie Pink (Head Education AFM) and Cécile Plaa (Coordinator Education AFM), and an Anthropologist, Tom McNamara (LaTrobe University), will explore the most common French clichés and their impact.
$10 + GST and booking fee
The Art Embroidery Revolution with French couturier, Delphine Genin
French-Australian couture designer Delphine Genin, who trained in Paris at the exclusive, CHANEL-owned Ecole Lesage, will be hosting a virtual event to share the story behind the label and reveal her thinking process when designing new pieces.
$40 + GST and booking fee
2 x 20 minute rounds of French trivia with prizes from French Beauty Co, BIODERMA, Franck-Provost, DELSEY and more.
$20 + GST and booking fee
French Spirits and Cheese – A Tasting Masterclass by Spirits of France
Join Spirits of France’s Valerie Blayac on a delicious tour of French spirits and aperitifs paired with delicious cheeses. You will enjoy 6 Drinks from Armagnac, Cognac, Calvados, and their Mistelles.
$85 + GST and booking fee
You can also join in the festivities at home.
THURSDAY 15 JULY: Caudalie. A Guided Online Wine Tasting you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home.
- Gabriel Gâté as MC with panellists:
- Maxime Chapoutier from Maison M. Chapoutier
- Ben Portet from Dominique Portet Winery
- Jacqueline Dutton, University of Melbourne
$18.41 to $64.61 (price varies depending on if you choose the wine box or not)
WHAT: Bastille Day Festival 2021
WHEN: Friday 16 July 10am – 10pm & Saturday 17 July 10am – 6pm
WHERE: The Atrium and Plaza at Federation Square, Melbourne
HOW: No tickets required to attend the festival generally.
Purchase tickets to the masterclasses via the links in this article
HOW MUCH: Free entry to Bastille Day Festival but masterclasses and events cost extra
For more about Bastille Day 2021, take a look at these articles:
For other events happening in July, check out what’s on in July?
If you’re heading to Fed Square, you may also like to check out these exhibitions currently on at the NGV: