Bastille Day Melbourne 2023 is on in a new location, at Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market this weekend. They invite you to swap your beanie for a béret and celebrate all things French in Melbourne. Read on to find out everything you can eat, drink and experience at Bastille Day Melbourne 2023.
FOOD & WINE
A French festival wouldn’t be complete without a tempting array of food stalls selling French cuisine and some French wine or even some champagne.
On the Rue des bistrots you’ll find:
- Le Gourmet Lemon
- Orléans Mussels & Chips
- Long Paddock Cheese
- Posh Brioche
- France at Home
- La Truffière
- A Taste of Paris
- Saucissons by La Bastide
In Le Café you’ll find stalls from:
- Kanelle Pâtisserie
- PEUGEOT Australia
- Park Lane Coffee
- La Louche Crêperie
Le Bar will quench your thirst with stalls from:
- Festival Bar
- Champagne Philippe Fournier
- Grand Cru and Mates
- Mind Spirits & Co.
- Bordeaux and Beyond
FREE EVENTS AT BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023
On the programme are lots of free events as well as some paid ticketed events so there’s something at Bastille Day Melbourne 2023 for every budget. Among the free entertainment, you’ll find mime, dance, musical and circus performers on the Main Stage as well as roving throughout the festival grounds. Musicians Noria and the Parisians, Philippe the Accordionist, Vive la Différence, and Zilwa Tribe , Moogy & The Avant-Guardians, and Boum! Meringue will get you up and dancing. You can witness the skill of can can dancers both on the main stage and roving throughout the Queen Victoria Market sheds at Bastille Day Melbourne 2023.
Pre-schoolers and primary students can learn some circus skills courtesy of The French Circus School. You can even learn some French with free 30 minute classes led by the Alliance Française de Melbourne!
There are also plenty of French and French-inspired products for you to buy at Bastille Day Melbourne 2023 this weekend. Stall-holders include:
- Babel Books
- Beju French Jewellery
- Belite and Today is a good day
- French Beauty Co.
- Language International Bookstore
- Susan Kerlan Illustrations
- Zoé & Chloé and Co.
BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023 TICKTETED PROGRAM
We’ve divided the Bastille Day Melbourne 2023 program into talks, masterclasses and the walking tour.
TALKS AT BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023
At Bastille Day Melbourne 2023, there are talks about a diverse range of topics including the Olympic Games, art, fashion and the environment.
- Les Lumières JAUNE: The Road to the Paris Village – To mark just over a year to go until Paris hosts the 33rd Summer Olympic Games, and in conjunction with the Bastille Day French Festival, athletes and coaches will come together to form a panel discussion.
- Les Lumières BLANC: Finding the unexpected: Pierre Bonnard and the observation of life in late 19th century Paris This talk looks at Bonnard’s innovative years as a young artist, as he both explored the city’s streets and engaged with its nightlife through his involvement with experimental theatrical productions in Paris.
- Les Lumières ROUGE: From 1785 till 1805: the French Revolution in Fashion – A look at the evolution of French fashion in the 20 years from the French Revolution when it became a particularly powerful symbol of identification.
- Les Lumières VERT: Dragons & Sharks Green Tech pitch contest – FREE – How can innovation helps tackle the environnemental challenges we are facing? A community of entrepreneurs will be presenting you solutions to face climate change and give you a chance to vote for the most promising one!
MASTERCLASSES AT BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023
There are also masterclasses where you can get involved and learn about fragrance, mime, fashion, cheese and wine and French spirits.
- Masterclass: All Things French with Fragrance Hosted by fashion doyenne Christine Barro, you will be delighted with stories on the heroes of Haute Couture and expert instruction on the selection of a signature French scent, enjoyed with French champagne and festive macarons.
- Masterclass: Mime by mime artist Rod Lara Learn all the techniques of becoming a mime from Rod Lara who has 24 years experience. It’s particularly special as this year marks 100 years since the birth of Marcel Marceau
- Masterclass: A Taste of France – Cheese & Wine Enjoy an exquisite pairing of five artisan cheeses carefully curated by Gaetan from Long Paddock Cheese, accompanied by five glasses of meticulously selected wines by Ana from Voila Wine and Co.
- Masterclasss: Tour de France of Spirits Led by Brieuc from Cerbaco, this immersive experience delves into the history, production techniques, and tasting notes, allowing you to deepen your knowledge and appreciation for the art of Cognac and Armagnac.
- Masterclass: The Secrets of French Style – A Blue Illusion styling masterclass hosted by globe-trotting Catriona Rowntree and Blue Illusion’s founder and creative director, Donna Guest. They introduce you to their new ‘travel capsule’ collaboration; as well as share their tips and techniques of how to adopt your own unique sense of style, à la Française.
WALKING TOUR AT BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023
Bouygues Walking Tour: French Icons of Melbourne Discover Melbourne through a French eye. Be prepared to walk a little and enjoy a few French touches along the way… L’Occitane… Christine… La Belle Miette… All senses awaken!!!! The tour will end with a glass of sparkling at Sofitel Melbourne on Collins in the Atrium Bar.
They also have an online program so if you can’t join them in person, you can join them online for a range of live crosses to France, in conversations, musical delights and more!
You can view the online program via this link
KEY INFO FOR BASTILLE DAY MELBOURNE 2023
WHAT: Bastille Day Melbourne 2023
WHERE: Queen Victoria Market, Sheds C & D
WHEN: 9am to 4pm on both Saturday 8 July and Sunday 9 July 2023
HOW: Just show up – or if you’re interested in a ticketed event, book you place ASAP via the relevant links above so you don’t miss out
HOW MUCH: Free entry, lots of free entertainment and some ticketed events, the price of which varies depending on the event. Plenty of French food and drinks to be purchased also.
For other events with French links happening in Melbourne, and all of Australia this month, check out our What’s on in July article
And if you’re looking for more Bastille Day celebrations, take a look at our Bastille Day 2023 article