Come to Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal next week, where a 30 metre long table topped with a tonne of French cheeses overlooking the Sydney Opera House will be the centre point of Bon Fromage 2023. The most Brie-lliant of festivals returns with its celebration and promotion of many varieties of French cheese including creamy Camembert, tangy Fourme d’Ambert, nutty Comté, smelly Langres to name but a few. Take our curd for it, these are free festivi-cheese you don’t want to miss!
The Bon Fromage festival was created by CNIEL (Centre national interprofessional de l’économie laitière) France’s National Dairy Interbranch Organization)) to their great credit in 2016. It is part of its commitment, aided by the European Union, to showcase the vast variety and distinctiveness of French cheeses in Australia. After all, France’s very own Charles de Gaulle said “how can anyone govern a nation that has 258 different kinds of cheese”.
It seeks to expand the knowledge and appreciation of French cheeses among Australian consumers and to inform and guide attendees on how to pair cheese, or how to integrate cheeses into daily cooking. At Bon Fromage 2023, you’ll have the opportunity to taste, discover, and learn about French cheeses.
BON FROMAGE 2023 MASTERCLASSES
As with almost everything at this festival, the masterclasses are also free! Some are already full so we recommend you sign up to any that you’re interested in, and that aren’t full, ASAP.
Masterclasses that still have places available at time of publication are:
- Cheese making in the French Mountains: A story of Hard cheeses – 1st June 2023 – 5:30pm
- KIDS FRIENDLY – pack a cheesy lunch – 2nd June 2023 – 12:30pm
- Cooking masterclass with Chef Julien from Bistro L’Héritage – 2nd June 2023 – 3:30pm
- The Cheese Affineur – 3rd June 2023 – 3pm
BON FROMAGE 2023 EXHIBITORS
The only paid part of Bon Fromage is the food stalls selling cheesy creations and you’re going to want to try these! Here’s just a taste of some of the cheesy creations you will find at Bon Fromage 2023:
- A_B_Cheese shop will be selling its French cheese range for you to take your new favourites home
- Take it cheesy will be serving creamy cheeses on sticks with homemade bread crumbs which have been lightly fried
- The French Cob Loaf puts melted French cheese in sourdough
- French Cheese Australia will be serving Raclette (perfect for Bon Fromage 2023’s coinciding with the official start of Winter)
- Hot Dog Savoyard – cheeses from the French Alp region of Savoy are used to create gourmet cheesy hot dogs
- Croque-Monsieur – the quintessential French take on the humble ham and cheese toastie – choose from Comte, Emmental or Brie
- Meraki Eats has created a savoury choux made with European cheese
- Orléans will be serving Moules-Frites, French Coquille St-Jacques with Gruyère, baguette loaded with Gruyère or raclette
- French Kiss crêperie will be serving a range of crêpes and galettes including a galette with raclette cheese
- Saucissons Australia brings its Produit du Terroir range of curated cheeses, pâté and homemade dried sausages. They will also be selling cones filled with Saucissons and Cheese
- Fromager D’affinois will be showcasing its Pavé d’Affinois
- Madame and Yves will showcase its authentic French treats with a modern edge
Each year, Bon Fromage selects a few cheesemongers as its Ambassadors. This year it has selected Aurore Ghigo and Victor Persinette-Gautrez.
Aurore co-founded Cheese on Wheels in 2012. At Bon Fromage 2023, she will teach you that cheese is a creation that engages all the senses, encouraging customers to taste, smell, and feel it in order to develop your own opinions and refine your taste buds.
Victor, who owns K-SEIN Fromagerie at South Melbourne Market, is a master cheese maker and has spent years perfecting his craft. He uses only the finest ingredients to create the most delicious and unique cheeses that you won’t find anywhere else.
ENTERTAINMENT AT BON FROMAGE 2023
At night, The Bon Fromage stage will switch to a French Disco. Groove to the beats of talented DJs and enjoy the musical stylings of French jazzy bands, adding to the festive and cheesy ambiance.
Is it brie you’re looking for? You’ll be feeling bleu if you miss out, so make sure you put Bon Fromage in your plans for next week! Com-té Bon Fromage 2023
KEY INFO FOR BON FROMAGE 2023
WHAT: Bon Fromage 2023
WHEN: Thursday 1st to Saturday 3rd June 2023
- Thursday 1st June 2:30pm – 10pm
- Friday 2nd June 11am – 10:30pm
- Saturday 3rd June 11am – 5pm
WHERE: Cargo Hall, Sydney Overseas Passenger Terminal, THE ROCKS
HOW: Just go there! Or for Masterclasses, you will need to pre-book and can do so via this link
HOW MUCH: Entry to Bon Fromage and to its tastings is free. The Masterclasses are too but you need to reserve your spot in advance.
Tag Bon Fromage Festival via its @Europeancheeses and Facebook profiles @EuropeanCheesesAustralia
Suggested Hashtags for your Bon Fromage 2023 posts: #BonFromageFestival2023 #EuropeanCheeses #FrenchCheese #EnjoyitsfromEurope
For events with French and Francophone links happening this month, check out our What’s on in May
Love cheese? Read our other cheese-themed articles